Re: Cross Compiling RCS

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Cross Compiling RCS
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 06:43:49 +0200

() Derek McEachern <address@hidden>
() Tue, 4 Jun 2013 10:51:29 -0500

   The configure and compile worked just fine.

   The only problem I still have is that it is doing the check
   for the sane diff.

   The situation I have is that I needed to cross compile diff
   utils to bundle with rcs and I plan on running diff utils
   and rcs out of /opt/rcs.  ./configure --prefix=/opt/rcs
   --host=i386-pc-solaris2.10

   I have set the environment variables DIFF and DIFF3 and
   when it checks DIFF it turns out it doesn't work because
   /opt/rcs/bin/diff is a solaris binary on a windows
   machine. It then finds /usr/bin/diff and it's sane so it
   uses this.

   However, on the target platform /usr/bin/diff is not gnu
   diff, it's Solaris diff so it doesn't work as expected.

   [output from ./configure run]

   I originally worked around this problem by modifying
   configure.ac so that in the case of a cross compile, if
   DIFF and DIFF2 environment variables were set, assume that
   the user knows what they are doing.

I have just installed a change to configure.ac that attempts
to add support for what you describe above:

 http://git.sv.gnu.org/cgit/rcs.git/commit/?h=p&id=0aef53c

If you'd like, i can generate and send you a new configure
script for testing.  Alternatively, 5.9.3 will be out shortly.

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502