RE: ci failed for large files (>2GB) - diff: memory exhausted

From: Peram, Sudhakara
Subject: RE: ci failed for large files (>2GB) - diff: memory exhausted
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 10:40:00 -0500

Hi All

I found interesting thing with diff command, I have compiled diff with 64-bit to support large files (> 2GB) and it is working fine without using –a option. When I use –a option on large files I am getting below error. Posted a question to diff command group as well, but no response.

Error Message:

diff: memory exhausted

‘–a’ option used to “Treat all files as text and compare them line-by-line, even if they do not seem to be text”.

We have built RCS with GNU diff utility and with ‘–n’ and ‘–a’ options for diff, so check-in is failing for large files. Here I have doubt whether RCS will work without ‘–a’ option or not. Can anyone tell me if you already tried without ‘–a’ option.

My server architecture is : SunOS hostname 5.9 Generic_122300-47 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4

Thank you in Advance!

--Sudhakar