Re: Compiling GNU-RCS on Windows

From: Hugh Sasse
Subject: Re: Compiling GNU-RCS on Windows
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 16:21:29 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008, Sunny wrote:

> Hi Hugh,
>
> Thank you for your response. Maybe I should explain why I needed to know how
> to compile GNU-RCS on Windows. I am currently using CS-RCS front-end on

I'm completely unfamiliar with CS-RCS but it seems to be this:
http://www.componentsoftware.com/Csrcs/
and from that page (described as a product, described as $100 value,
free forever) I'm not entirely sure if you've paid for a commercial
product or not.

> Windows and CVS on Linux for accessing the RCS repository running on a Windows
> system. The problem I am encountering is that when I when I check-in a file
> with an underscore(_), tilde(~), or dash(-) using CVS, CS-RCS is display an
> error message when I try to view it on CS-RCS.

Sounds to me like the ball is in the court of CS-RCS, and I'm not sure
if you get the source with that.

> The displayed error is as follows:
>            file-name,v - unknown character `-'
>                         or
>            file_name,v - unknown character `_'
>                         or
>            filename~,v - unknown character `~',
> depending on the character in the file name.
> I then traced the "unknown character" in the RCS source code and find it the
> rcslex.c file. Inside a switch statement on line 573 and 574, there's cases
> for COLON, DIGIT, LETTER, Letter, PERIOD and SPACE, but not for IDCHAR. Sincer
> '_', '~' and '-' are all grouped as IDCHAR, and IDCHAR is missing from those
> case statements, I thought it could be the problem. So, I wanted to be able to
> compile and test it first to confirm my assumption before reporting it as a
> bug if it is a bug, that's why I needed to find out if someone had compile RCS

Even if it is correct behaviour, it is a bug in the spec.  These are clearly
legitimate characters in file names.

> in Windows before.
>
> Just to explain the problem a bit further, using CS-RCS on its own is not a
> problem, file names with the mentioned characters can be checked-in and out
> without any problems. Also, using CVS on its own is not a problem, checking in
> and out works fine, in fact CVS does show any problems at all. If a file is

I'd expect it to cope, it's much newer than RCS.

> added using CS-RCS, checked-out using CVS and checked-in using CVS, CS-RCS
> gives the error message. If a file is imported for the first time using CVS,
> CS-RCS doesn't have a problem, only when the file is checked-in using CVS then
> CS-RCS gives the error message.

Well, I'm surprised you can get the two to inter-operate at all because
CVS supports things (renaming files) that RCS doesn't.   There are
alternatives that give you menus on your files to interact with CVS,
http://www.tortoisecvs.org/
for one, but if your users are used to one thing and don't want to
change, and your using the same tool to access an RCS repository,
short of migrating that to CVS, I'm rather stuck....

> Your help will be appreciated

I hope someone else can jump in here, because I don't know enough about
the internals, or anything about CS-RCS so can't say much more that's
any use.

Did you look for a configure file?