Re: Binary files in RCS

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Binary files in RCS
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 08:34:33 -0600

Ed Glace wrote:
> If I execute the following statement on a text file - it seems to
> work correctly without the file needing to be placed into my current
> directory.
> co -p -r$srev1 $filename

Does not being in the current directory mean that the file is located
in the RCS subdirectory?  (e.g. ./RCS/$filename,v) Because to the best
of my knowledge rcs commands always look for the vault files in the
current directory and if not found there then look for them in an RCS
subdirectory.  (Or perhaps it is the other way around.  Best to only
have the file in one location so that priority order does not matter.)
So the ,v files would need to be in one or the other.

Look in the RCS directory for the $filename,v file because I am pretty
sure your evidence says that there is a file there.

> On the other hand, if I try this with a Microsoft Access (mdb) file,
> it seems I cannot open the file without actually having the file in
> my current directory.

If the ,v file is not in current directory or an RCS subdirectory then
this would be expected behavior.

Note: Make sure you are setting the binary file options 'rcs -kb' so
that binary files will not accidentally match an RCS keyword and
expand it corrupting the file.

Bob