Re: RCS and web development?

From: Aaron S. Hawley
Subject: Re: RCS and web development?
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 16:09:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 address@hidden wrote:

> We are interested in possibly installing RCS on a web server.  The
> source code is also the installed code that is served by an Apache
> webserver. We are wondering if it is possible to configure RCS enough so
> that permissions are not disturbed by the check-out process AND that the
> makefile permissions can be made invisible to the webserver.

My guess is that when checking-out files they don't have "web permissions.
You'll need to change the permissions to the RCS files
themselves, so that
when they are checked-out, they will have "web" permissions.
Something like:

chmod o+r RCS/*,v

This entire situation can be avoided by making the initial check-in of a
file into RCS have the proper permissions for the web.

I'm working on this sort of documentation on using RCS on the web here:

http://www.uvm.edu/~ashawley/rcs/webpages.html

> Can it also be possible to setup RCS so that it copies the source to an
> installed directory with the right permissions? We are using RedHat 8.

This is not something RCS provides, though it can check out files on
standard output allowing you to send your file to wherever you wish:

co -p your_file.c > some/wierd/place/with_a_wierd_filename.c

Something you could consider having be done in your makefiles.

Hope this helps,
/a