Re: Help needed for writing a rule

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Help needed for writing a rule
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 12:18:18 -0500

On Fri, 2022-11-25 at 17:12 +0100, Patrick Begou wrote:
> Of course this works because I am building a ".depends" file with all
> dependencies dynamically too for my application. In the provided
> Makefile example, dependencies are added at the end of the makefile.

Oh, you didn't say this.

This is basically the same as my final note:

> you'll just have to create explicit rules for all your targets.

except instead of you doing it you're relying on your compiler to do
it, which is fine.

> May be this could have side effects I do not see

Make always parses all the makefiles and included makefiles first,
before it starts to build anything.  During parsing all the
prerequisites are gathered together, so this:

   foo: bar baz ; echo hi

is identical to this:

   foo: ; echo hi
   foo: bar
   foo: baz

Once the makefiles are parsed there's no way to know which of these was
actually seen.