Re: GMAKE 3.81 vs GMAKE 4.2

From: Juan Pablo Garibotti Arias
Subject: Re: GMAKE 3.81 vs GMAKE 4.2
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 14:26:30 +0200

You can do a run dry, which will print what recipes to run without running
them. From
https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Instead-of-Execution.html
:
‘-n’
‘--just-print’
‘--dry-run’
‘--recon’
“No-op”. Causes make to print the recipes that are needed to make the
targets up to date, but not actually execute them. Note that some recipes
are still executed, even with this flag (see How the MAKE Variable Works).
Also any recipes needed to update included makefiles are still executed
(see How Makefiles Are Remade).

Aside from that, make always does incremental builds, since it only updates
what it believes needs to be updated. Poorly set up makefiles may cause it
to build more or less than is actually required.

To know if it passed or failed you can check the return value of calling
make. If it encountered no errors it should return 0.