Re: how vpath should behave

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: how vpath should behave
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 19:57:50 -0400

On Wed, 2021-05-19 at 15:09 -0800, Britton Kerin wrote:
> It looks to me like when vpath evolved from VPATH a few things could
> have been better:

Neither vpath nor VPATH are there to find _TARGETS_, as I mentioned
before.  They won't work for that, and they're not intended to work for
that.

They are there to find _SOURCES_ (that is, files that make does not
build itself but that already exist before make starts).

You might find this blog post illuminating:

  http://make.mad-scientist.net/papers/how-not-to-use-vpath/