help-librejs

Re: False positives

From: Yuchen Pei
Subject: Re: False positives
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 18:41:27 +1000

Hello laserm,
On Wed 2023-09-27 17:22:21 +0000, laserm wrote:

> Hello friends,
> I find the idea of librejs of disabling all proprietary javascript
> very useful,
> however one thing I found very annoying is that many free scripts,
> especially frontends like piped or invidividous are getting flagged as
> "nonfree", even though they are not.

Afaik this is "the issue" with librejs, but it is a nontrivial problem.

> My suggestion is to autowhitelist
> frontends that are whitelisted with libredirect, an extension that
> IceCat already uses.

This requires that we trust the libredirect list of instances to be
free. The source code of those web clients (aka alternative frontends)
are probably free, but we can't tell

1. whether their dependencies are free
2. whether each instance[1] is free, if any of them patches the code.
   I'd think configs don't count or matter
3. whether the dependencies / instances remain free for newer versions

[1] https://codeberg.org/LibRedirect/instances

Basically this requires vetting efforts from people, like FSD eval or
(IIUC as I have no hands-on experience with FSDG) FSDG package
inclusion, except people can't build/deploy the packages they want to
use because they are built/deployed by website admins.

> I am thinking about forking LibreJS and
> implementing it myself, but I wanna hear community opinion
> beforehand. I also think that (if it doesnt exist yet) a script that
> autoannotates javascript will be useful and am beginning on working on
> it, however I am still learning and so I am sometimes work very slow.
> What do you think about that?

What do you mean by auto-annotating? Who auto-annotates, website admins,
users of the frontends, or librejs? And what is the goal of this
annotation?

> [... 8 lines elided]

Best,
Yuchen

--
Timezone: UTC+10
PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0