help-librejs

Re: [Help-librejs] LibreJS + Iceweasel + HTTPSEveryWhere = blank screen

From: Michael Pagan
Subject: Re: [Help-librejs] LibreJS + Iceweasel + HTTPSEveryWhere = blank screen
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2016 22:11:19 -0400

Hi,

I've tried LibreJS on both Abrowser and GNU IceCat (each with varying results). GNU IceCat comes with HTTSEveryWhere and SpyBlock installed by default, since it is a browser created with security in mind. LibreJS is experimental though, as declared by GNU IceCat on its homepage, so it doesn't always work even when a website has satisfied the conditions for liberating its own _javascript_.

> I wonder if it is possible to have the LibreJS Mozilla-based browser > add-on running during usual web usage (surfing, mailing, reading > news…)

Yes, and those specific actions (i.e. surfing, mailing, reading, news, etc.), should work as long as they don't require non-free _javascript_ in order to function.

> the add-on will actually block everything due to the > nontrivial _javascript_ present basically everywhere.

It may appear to do so on _javascript_ heavy websites, but you can pull up a report of exactly which pieces of code are being blocked via the LibreJS icon located on your browsers' Toolbar. The ones that you feel are safe can be whitelisted and hence executed.

> it is said to work for Mozilla-based browsers, or even if the add-on > has been developed as a monitor tool for highlighting > LibreJS-compliant web sites, and therefore with daily web usage not in > mind.

LibreJS is not just a monitor/analysis tool on the state of freedom of a website, but it should also actively block non-free code while allowing the execution of free code. It is this specific behavior that will help to promote freedom and security on websites in terms of functionality.

> I think I am not using the add-on in the proper way, so I really > appreciate your comments as LibreJS users :)

There is only one way to use this particular add-on, and that is to keep it enabled and hence allow it to operate silently in the background as you use your browser. In essence, all you have to do is install it and it should work right out of the box; however, it is experimental.

Any problems that may arise is either a bug in the browser (incompatible with LibreJS), the website (nontrivial code that is required in order for the site to function is non-free, or free code does not use the proper syntax or is using an unsupported free license hence preventing LibreJS from labelling it as free), or a bug in LibreJS (the add-on is either blocking free code that is properly labelled, or allowing non-free code that has not been whitelisted to execute).

Last thing: What version of the following software are you using (it might aid the developers in pinpointing the problem):

Michael Pagan

Trisquel GNU/Linux user