help-hurd

Re: Several user questions

From: Wojciech Aniszewski
Subject: Re: Several user questions
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 09:24:57 +0100

Hi Peter

On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 05:21:42PM +0100, Peter Wiehe wrote:
> Is there somewhere a list of programs that work on Hurd already?
> (Including, but not limited to web browsers and window managers.)

It seems you can already start the sytsem (from the question below), thus you
can type 'apt search' plus a name of
soft you're looking for. Often though frustration awaits, as there would be
libs associated with some soft, but not
the program itself; that's normal with these 'partisan' systems.

> Can anyone tell me how to downsize the X screen? When I type "startx" then
> the X screen is bigger than my hardware screen.

Sounds like you xserver is panning, you can use xrandr to reshape the virtual
desktop, see 'man xrandr' and
search for --panning. Generally, if you tupe xrandr --panning NxM (where N and
M are desired desktop sizes) it
will resize the xscreen. '--panning 0x0' should disable it completely.

At least, you can start X :) I'm running baremetal, not able to get X for the
last few tries

cheers
Voitek

--
  /^..^\
 ( (••) )    Wojciech (Voitek) ANISZEWSKI