help-hurd

Re: Compiling Hurd

From: Samuel Thibault
Subject: Re: Compiling Hurd
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 09:48:47 +0200

Hello,

giggles, le dim. 16 juil. 2023 17:07:01 +0000, a ecrit:
> Im new in Hurd, I want to compile Hurd from source but I dont managed
> to follow the instruction, I dont know what toolchain it required to build
> Hurd.

We strongly recommend to just build from a Hurd system, instead of
trying to cross-build (which is tricky operation).

> I started building mach and for this I used a crosscompiler
> i686-linux-gnu which can compile just static, I have the gnumach.gz, but I
> got stucked on how to proceed to compile Hurd itself.
>
> I need to compiler the glibc with --host=i686-gnu first and then create
> another toolchain specific to Hurd?

Yes, see
https://darnassus.sceen.net/~hurd-web/toolchain/cross-gnu/

That's why it's tricky and thus simpler to just build from a hurd
system and thus avoid cross-compilation entirely.

Samuel