help-gv

Re: [help-gv] Re : When used in safedir mode, gv 3.7.1 waits forever on

From: Markus Steinborn
Subject: Re: [help-gv] Re : When used in safedir mode, gv 3.7.1 waits forever on Mac OS X
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 18:31:12 +0200

C D wrote:
> I would just like to mention that the safedir mode (which was introduced, AFAIK, in gv 3.7.0) causes gv 3.7.1, on Mac OS X 10.5 with GhostScript 8.71, to open its window and wait forever when one tries to view a PostScript file. The safe directory gets created in /tmp but is it empty. Pressing q closes the window of gv (and the safe directory remains).

> Launching gv with the -nosafedir option solves the problem.

Additionally, launching gv with the -safedir option (or with no option) on a PDF document triggers another problem: the error message "Chdir to 9999 x 9999 failed" appears, as if gv were passing wrong arguments (or in a wrong order) to the shell/to gs/whatever: like passing an image size instead of the name of the safe directory.
Thanks for your feedback.

It is intended that the saafe directory is empty.

I'll investigate, but probably I'll need some help:

* Xaw3d on Macports is known to be broken. I've got the feeling that the non-removal of the safe-dir may have something to to with the broken Xaw3d. But I'll investige. Currently I am running "port upgrade outdated".

* It would help very much to provide a repaired version of Xaw3d for macports. See README.I18N included in the source tarball of GNU gv for the necessary patches. Best would be to apply all Xaw3d patches present in my git repository mentioned in the README.I18N.

* The following bug is still not solved on Macports: http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2010-May/020240.html
Could you please check if you have manually applied the fix?

Greetings from Germany

Markus Steinborn
GNU gv maintainer