help-gv

Re: [help-gv] view two pages?

From: Janek Kozicki
Subject: Re: [help-gv] view two pages?
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 22:39:52 +0200

Jose E. Marchesi said:     (by the date of Mon, 9 Oct 2006 21:03:40 +0200)

> I understand you: the GHOSTVIEW/callbacks mechanism to control the
> ghostscript display is somewhat weird: you would need to change the
> environment and to run another gs instance to get your pixmaps
> drawn.

So to render two pages I will have to make two fork() calls? It means
that on two-processor machine the speed of rendering two pages will be
the same as speed of rendering single page? Awesome!

> >  Of course it's only because I'm not the original author, so my
> >  knowledge about this code is limited very much. But I don't have
> >  enough time for that, so I'll have to stick with gv, as It's the
> >  best one I have found out there.
>
> Well, we could schedule two-pages views for gv 3.6.3 (i am trying to
> release gv 3.6.2, but there are some troubles with the gnu
> machinery).

please schedule that. If I happen to do it first, I will quickly inform
you about that.

> If you want to try to implement this, i can help you.

Problem is that I cannot predict my time-availability. But if you can
give a few more explanaintions on how I should try to do this I will
feel more inclined to do it :)

I see it as:

- add widget page1, make sure that it is displayed in correct place

- attach second gs interpreter to that page, and then keep the pages
  synchronized.

for now I prefer to ignore a bool flag that will enable/disable two
paged view. Too much complications :)

> The widgets placement (geometry manager) is controlled using a rather
> exotic language interpreted by the xaw library.

aah! that explains why upon renaming page into page1 I had some strange
problems with respect to page widget.