Re: LuaTeX/luaotfload doesn't find any fonts (using fontspec) on Guix?

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: LuaTeX/luaotfload doesn't find any fonts (using fontspec) on Guix?
Date: Tue, 14 May 2024 19:35:58 +0200

Hello,

I forgot to send a carbon copy to help-guix ML in my last answer, so
I include it here.

Nicolas Goaziou via <help-guix@gnu.org> writes:

> Benjamin Slade <beoram@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> This doesn't seem good as the store is not writable.
>>
>>> I read[¹] that "texmf.cnf" and "texmfcnf.lua" might be misconfigured. In
>>> particular, `kpsewhich -var-value=TEXMFCACHE' reports a store location.
>>> At the very least, I think TEXMFCACHE in "texmf.cnf" should be set to
>>> $TEXMFVAR instead of $TEXMFSYSVAR;$TEXMFVAR as it is the case currently.
>>> I'm not sure it will help, tho.
>>
>> I will try to see if there is anything that can be done in terms of
>> local/home configuration.
>>
>> I wonder if there's a reasonable upstream/Guix fix for the luatex
>> package definition.
>
> What I wrote above is actually wrong. $TEXMFSYSVAR does not point to the
> store, but to "{/gnu/...", which means "lualatex" creates a "{"
> directory in the current working directory. It is silly (and has been
> reported already[¹]), but at least the cache can be written to the disk.
>
> I'm not sure yet there's a problem on the Guix side. Font configuration
> can be tricky.

Actually, the problem is on the Guix side, and it will be solved in the
"tex-team" branch.

Meanwhile, the solution is to set OSFONTDIR environment variable to
'{$XDG_DATA_DIRS}'.

With it, the following "test.tex" document compiles correctly:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont{Fantasque Sans Mono}
\begin{document}
Test \textbf{Test} \textit{Test}
\end{document}

in the following environment

  guix shell --pure texlive-collection-latex texlive-fontspec fontconfig
font-fantasque-sans

with the following command

  export OSFONTDIR='{$XDG_DATA_DIRS}'; lualatex test.tex

Thank you for the bug report!

Regards,
--
Nicolas Goaziou