Re: I installed guix with a swap and ... my swap disappeared

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: I installed guix with a swap and ... my swap disappeared
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 14:29:11 +0000

Hi Jean-Michel,

Try running

# sudo mkswap /dev/sda3

to recreate the swap area.  In fact, run it now before continuing.  See the
last paragraph.

I think that both of your problems have the same cause, and one that's easily
fixed.

To resume from hibernation, Linux needs to be told where the hibernation image
was stored.  It does not do this by itself.  It also won't erase stale
hibernation images, which is why you can't swapon.

You need to add

(kernel-arguments (list "resume=/dev/sda3"))

to your system configuration, or append that string to the list if you already
have a kernel-arguments field.  Then reconfigure for the boot loader to be
updated.

Passing "resume=here-the-uuid-numbers-and-letters" instead of a device file
name *should* also work, but it's not something I heavily tested since adding
hibernation support.  I've always used device file names.

Until you can successfully hibernate and resume, you MUST run that mkswap at
the top of this message after each failed attempt.  You risk total corruption
of all mounted file systems if you don't.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent on the go.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.