Correct way to protect `guix system vm` invocations from garbage collect

From: Ben Weinstein-Raun
Subject: Correct way to protect `guix system vm` invocations from garbage collection?
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 23:31:05 +0000

Hello!

I'm working on setting up permanent virtual machines to run as services.
In order for this to work, I think I need to be sure that the various
inputs to the vm runner script are kept alive. This includes the kernel,
the initrd, and the qemu binary.

What's the easiest way to permanently mark an arbitrary store file (in
this case, the `...-run-vm.sh` script) as "alive"? e.g. is there a way
to add it to my user's profile, or some other gc-root? Or add it to a
new profile altogether?

Thanks!