Re: Specifying rust version

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: Specifying rust version
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 08:53:01 +0200

On Mon, Dec 26, 2022 at 09:00:40AM +0000, phodina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the documentation for 'cargo-build-system' [1] refers to parameter
> '#:rust' which allows user to specify the Rust compiler version.
> However, I've found this commit
> 9635119a61a9ab1b023558727fcdf1816fdc7fc6 from Maxim which makes all
> 'rust-.*' definitions private.  Is there a way to specify newer Rust
> compiler? Something like 'rust-next'?  The package requires version
> 1.62 but the current is 1.60. Also both version are already defined.
> What's missing is just way to select them.
>
> [1] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Build-Systems.html

I checked gnu/packages/rust.scm and it looks like the rust packages
aren't hidden but actually not exported. If they were just hidden then
you could still do `#:rust ,rust-1.62`. Since they're actually not
exported you need to use the not-really-supported `@@` to refer to that
variable, so you'd have to use something like:
#:rust ,(@@ (gnu packages rust) rust-1.62)

Given how it would be useful to have access to newer rust versions I
think it'd be worthwhile to make a post in guix-devel about making the
newer versions of rust use define-public but be hidden, so they can be
used as expected for the #:rust keyword.