Re: Ibus does not work with GTK 4 applications (?)

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: Re: Ibus does not work with GTK 4 applications (?)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 09:09:52 +0200

Hi Luis,

Am Dienstag, dem 18.10.2022 um 20:46 +0000 schrieb Luis Felipe:
> Hi,
>
> I stumbled upon this issue when migrating an application from GTK+ to
> GTK 4 on a Guix System (77e768a) with ibus set up. Input methods
> didn't work in the GTK 4 GUI while they worked fine¹ in the GTK+ 3
> GUI.
>
> Looking at my ~/.profile file, I see that I export some variables to
> work around the known ibus issue
> (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/35610):
>
>   export GUIX_GTK2_IM_MODULE_FILE="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/gtk-
> 2.0/2.10.0/immodules-gtk2.cache"
>   export GUIX_GTK3_IM_MODULE_FILE="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/gtk-
> 3.0/3.0.0/immodules-gtk3.cache"
>
> The above is missing a corresponding variable for GTK4. But I
> couldn't figure it out because I can't find any a corresponding
> "immodules-gtk4".
You don't need a similar variable for GTK4.  GTK4 has its own logic for
locating immodules, which works without Guix needing to patch it.
Note, that as of [1] ibus has GTK4 support, so on this side things
should be fine.  However...

> I also checked GNOME applications that already migrated to GTK 4 or
> libadwaita, and couldn't use my input methods there either (e.g.
> gnome-music, gnome-calendar). Something to note about this
> applications is that they are pretty much unusable right now, but I
> don't know if that's related to the ibus thing.
>
> Anyone knows anything about this? I wonder if there is some setting
> missing in Guix System regarding GTK 4 for this to work...
> __________
> 1. I say ibus works fine in GTK+ apps, but not quite. Everytime I
> reboot, I have to "ibus-daemon -dr" to make it work (but that's
> another story, or is it?).
> ‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
IBus is one of these annoying packages that may cause stale caches on
the user's side.  I recommend you rm -rf ~/.cache/ibus and then restart
it.

それで日本語を書きできる。

You should take this with a grain of salt however.  It might still be
that you need to restart ibus or gnome-shell from time to time because
they lost sight of each other.  I'm not sure how this relates to reboot
cycles, but it might be a clue.

Cheers

[1]
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=a96ebe47b0686b5dd7ebe5fc133073abce559f4d