Re: How can I step through this code?

From: jbranso
Subject: Re: How can I step through this code?
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 00:14:23 +0000

October 8, 2022 1:23 PM, "jgart" <jgart@dismail.de> wrote:

> On Sat, 08 Oct 2022 15:03:54 +0000 jbranso@dismail.de wrote:
>
>> That's smart!
>
> Did you try it? I've been trying to understand how some Guile code works
> by just throwing it in the Racket debugger. It doesn't always work but
> when it does it's like driving a fancy cadillac through the stack.

hahaha!  I have not tried it.   I definitely should.

I ran into this common problem yesterday.  I am of course simplifying:

(string-append "hello"
               (if some-var
                   " world\n"))

error: expecting type string
(string-append "hello" #unspecified)

It took me an embarrassing amount of time to track down where the
#unspecified was coming from.

I feel like the error message was a little bit cryptic.  It said that
one particular function cause the error...It just took me a while to track
it down.  A debugger stepping through the code would have been awesome!

> It's too bad that Guile's debugger sucks compared to Racket's debugger. Maybe
> someday someone will implement something amazing for that.
>
> RE The Common Lisp debugger: It's really great but it might be a rabbit hole.
>
> I recommend using sly or slime with sbcl if you want to go down that.

Right now I am super in love with Guix.  My main squeeze is working
on our existing opensmtpd-service and letting users configure it with
proper scheme records.  I don't know if I want to play with common lisp.

Thanks,

Joshua