Re: xmodmap doesn't before pressing any button keyboard

From: Paul Jewell
Subject: Re: xmodmap doesn't before pressing any button keyboard
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 10:52:56 +0100

On 18/07/2021 15:41, Akib Azmain Turja wrote:
I have setup my Emacs iwth EXWM.  I am trying to remap several keys to
avoid repetitive strain injury (RSI), also known as Emacs pinky.  To
accomplish that, I am using xmodmap.  It works perfectly when I invoke
the command directly.  However it doesn't work when I put it in Emacs
startup files.  After several days of research, I discovered that
xmodmap only works when I have pressed atleast one key in my keyboard.
Any solutions?

I started looking at this, following your email, and came across the following: https://librehacker.com/2020/12/23/caps-lock-as-ctrl-guix-system-configuration/

This swaps the ctrl key with the capslock key. This could possibly be expanded to cover other changes (I am not sure what others you are looking at).

Using the keyboard-layout option should mean your changes are working in the different virtual terminals as well as any X session.