Re: Application Setup on Trisquel

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Application Setup on Trisquel
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 14:16:29 -0700

Hi Caleb,

"Caleb Herbert" <address@hidden> skribis:

> Questions for Section 2.6.2 Name Service Switch
>
>   * How do I run ncsd on Trisquel?
>   * Should I get ncsd from APT or Guix?

You should get nscd from Trisquel, in its ‘nscd’ package.  You’ll have
more success asking Trisquel questions on Trisquel fora though.  :-)

>   * How do I make sure ncsd is "listening on the /var/run/nscd/socket
> socket"?

You could run “lsof | grep nscd”, but it’s likely to be the case once
nscd running.

> Questions for Section 2.6.3 X11 Fonts
>
>   * Trisquel does not have xset

It surely has a package for it.

>   * Should I get xset from APT or Guix?

Either way is fine.

> Setting Environment Variables
>
> The manual instructs users on foreign distros to export environment
> variables.  Doing this in the shell makes the changes temporary.
> Where should these changes be made permanent?  (It is bad practice to
> put environment variables in .bashrc.)

/etc/profile would be the right place.

> Integration with Trisquel
>
> Is there a way to make Trisquel's GNOME and its main menu aware of
> programs installed with Guix?

It should be possible, but I don’t know how.  Anyone?

> When to Use APT
>
> Which of the following should be installed by Guix, and which should
> be installed by APT?  Is there a way to install everything with Guix?
>  Packages marked with * indicate that APT may be needed for
> integration with the foreign system.

In general, you can install everything with Guix.  However, for system
services (nscd, sshd, etc.), you’ll usually want to use apt-get because
that’ll not only install the package but also add the relevant service
startup scripts.

HTH!

Ludo’.