Re: locale warning and postgresql

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: locale warning and postgresql
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 21:48:32 +0100

Hi Myles,

Myles English <address@hidden> skribis:

> I have always had trouble with my locale after installing guix on Arch
> Linux (with zsh and a basic window manager, bspwm).  I have set
> GUIX_LOCPATH in ~/.zshenv and it appears correct in my shell.  The
> system-wide locale looks right.  When I install postgresql it gives the
> usual "warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument".  When I try
> to initialise a database cluster, passing the locale doesn't work.
>
> Does anyone using Arch Linux and a basic WM know which file to put
> GUIX_LOCPATH in so that the warning goes away?
>
> How can I find out what guix thinks its locale is or what are available?
>
> Is there a way to use initdb even though there is a locale warning?
>
> Shell experiments:
>
> $ locale
> LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
> LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
> LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
> LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
> LC_COLLATE="en_GB.UTF-8"
> LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8"
> LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.UTF-8"
> LC_PAPER="en_GB.UTF-8"
> LC_NAME="en_GB.UTF-8"
> LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.UTF-8"
> LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.UTF-8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.UTF-8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.UTF-8"
> LC_ALL=
>
> $ echo $GUIX_LOCPATH
> /home/myles/.guix-profile/lib/locale

What does “ls $GUIX_LOCPATH/2.24” show?

You must make sure you have the ‘glibc-locales’ or ‘glibc-utf8-locales’
that correspond to the glibc version of the program you are using (if
you just installed postgresql, it’s using glibc 2.24.)

Then you need to make sure GUIX_LOCPATH is set both in the environment
of the postgresql daemon, and in the environment of the commands you
invoke (initdb, etc.).

HTH!

Ludo’.