How is guix update and system upgrade supposed to work?

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: How is guix update and system upgrade supposed to work?
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 15:42:02 +0100

Hi,

I still did not understand how a system-wide guix and package update is
supposed to work. The manual is a bit terse on this.

On a Debian system root does "apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade" and all
packages are current.

Now on guix, if root runs "guix pull", roots I get a new version of
guix, containing the new package definitions. If root now runs "guix
package -u guix", this new version will go into root's profile and will
be available as /usr/local/bin/guix (as recommended by the manual, I
linked /usr/local/bin/guix to
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix).

But otehr users still have different versions:

# guix --version
guix (GNU Guix) 20161108.22
# guix package -A python-tempest-lib
python-tempest-lib      1.0.0   out     gnu/packages/openstack.scm:320:2
 # which guix
/usr/local/bin/guix

$ guix --version
guix (GNU Guix) 0.11.0
$ guix package -A python-tempest-lib
python-tempest-lib      0.12.0  out     gnu/packages/openstack.scm:306:2
$ which guix
/usr/local/bin/guix
$ ls -l $(which guix)
… /usr/local/bin/guix ->
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix
$ ls ~/.config/guix/
$

I understand, that guix looks for ~/.config/guix/latest. But
nevertheless I would expect some way to update guix for all users How is
this supposed to work?

Any since I do not even manage to update guix, how doe I update all
system binaries? (I know, this will not update the binaries a user has
installed for him/herself).

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel