Re: Failed to start service 'device-mapping

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Failed to start service 'device-mapping
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 23:00:15 +0200

Kete Foy <address@hidden> skribis:

> I checked my config.scm (attached), but I don't see any missing parens
> or any discrepancy from Ludo's example
> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-04/msg00964.html>. I
> also based the rest on rain1's github wiki:
> https://gitlab.com/rain1/guix-wiki/wikis/encrypted-home-config.scm.
>
> I booted the computer, and Grub loaded the kernel. Then, the device
> mapper failed to start, and apparently, every service afterward also
> failed to start: user-processes, guix-daemon, term-tty6, dbus-system,
> xorg-server, etc. I'm trying to run with an encrypted partition mounted
> at /home.
>
> Do I need to correct my config.scm and run the herd and guix system init
> commands again?

>   (mapped-devices (list (mapped-device
>                          (source (uuid
> "ea0f857c-038b-4dda-b81f-39ad76210cfa"))
>                          (target "crypthome")
>                          (type luks-device-mapping))))

Are you sure the UUID is correct?  It must be a LUKS UUID, as returned
by “cryptsetup luksUUID /dev/sdXXYY”, not an ext2 UUID.

Also, the ability to use LUKS UUIDs like this was not available in
0.10.0.  So if you’re installing from the 0.10.0 USB image, you must
first ‘guix pull’.

Apart from that the config looks OK.

HTH!

Ludo’.