Re: Recommendations for libre WiFi-USB adapters?

From: Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic
Subject: Re: Recommendations for libre WiFi-USB adapters?
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 06:54:01 +0200

Hello,

Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
> Florian Paul Schmidt <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> this was discussed on IRC a while ago, but I couldn't find the
>> reference to it anymore. What are some decent WiFi-USB adapters that
>> are affordable and easy to get in Europe/Germany?
>
> FWIW, I use the RYF-stamped, Atheros-based USB dongle:
>

> https://www.fsf.org/news/ryf-certification-thinkpenguin-usb-with-atheros-chip

Perhaps you are actually using the AR9271 mini wifi adapter sold by
Tehnoetic, an ethical tech shop in Europe (which sells worldwide):

FSF's RYF certification announcement:

https://www.fsf.org/news/tehnoetic-wireless-usb-adapter-now-fsf-certified-to-respect-your-freedom

Product page at tehnoetic.com:

https://tehnoetic.com/tehnoetic-wireless-adapter-gnu-linux-libre-tet-n150

Also, Tehnoetic donates 15% of sale profits* to GuixSD when customers
choose your distro from the list of free distros of GNU. A total of $13
USD was donated for January and February sales, but I am confident more
and more customers will choose GuixSD for the donation.

If it's possible, it would certainly be nice to acknowledge Tehnoetic's
small contribution to GuixSD in the donations page:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/donate/

I believe my customers would appreciate that too, because for now they
have to trust me when I say I donated ;-)

Nils Gillmann <address@hidden> wrote:
> Would it be okay to put links on the website for not-prefered,
> but GNU and FSF endorsed hardware, like having an FAQ to explain
> what linux-libre implies and how to get working hardware (list
> hnode and a number of sellers there), something like this?

I also like this idea. FreedomBox project** at debian.org have inserted
links to the RYF adapters sold by Tehnoetic and ThinkPenguin in their FAQ:

https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/QuestionsAndAnswers#I.27m_wondering_what_wifi_adapter_to_get.2C_preferably_one_that_runs_with_free_firmware.2C_can_you_recommend_one.3F

> It’s certified to work with GuixSD.  :-)  Firmware is available and
> built from source:
>
>   https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/#ath9k-htc-firmware

Thank you for packaging the free firmware in GuixSD!

*)
Donations from February sales of Tehnoetic wifi adapters:
On March 09, Tehnoetic donated €16 EUR to Trisquel project.
On March 09, Tehnoetic donated $9 USD to GuixSD project.
On March 09, Tehnoetic donated $9 USD to Dragora project.

Donations from January sales of Tehnoetic wifi adapters:
On February 05, Tehnoetic donated €27 EUR to Trisquel project.
On February 05, Tehnoetic donated $4 USD to GuixSD project.

**)
FreedomBox includes nonfree software, despite the name (which refers to
freedom).

--
Tiberiu
Founder, https://tehnoetic.com