Re: guix edit mutt -- with new option, and dependency, how I got it work

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: guix edit mutt -- with new option, and dependency, how I got it working
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 07:58:06 +0100

Hello Leo,

I was using mutt on Debian, that option was always included:
header_cache

- mutt accesses remote emails
- this speeds up everything
- GuixSD already includes gdbm and tokyocabinet
- I have chosen gdbm, but testing could show if else is better

Imagine, when you have 2000-3000 emails, one need to wait long time, for
mutt to read all the headers, seconds. This way it is 1 second.

It should be included by default, as GuixSD does have external database
libraries.

Jean Louis

Mutt documentation:

.1. Header Caching

   Mutt provides optional support for caching message headers for the
   following types of folders: IMAP, POP, Maildir and MH. Header caching
   greatly speeds up opening large folders because for remote folders,
   headers usually only need to be downloaded once. For Maildir and MH,
   reading the headers from a single file is much faster than looking at
   possibly thousands of single files (since Maildir and MH use one file
   per message.)

   Header caching can be enabled via the configure script and the
   --enable-hcache option. It's not turned on by default because external
   database libraries are required: one of tokyocabinet, qdbm, gdbm or bdb
   must be present.