help-gss

Re: debian upload of gss 0.0.25

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: debian upload of gss 0.0.25
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 16:51:04 -0800

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Russ.  I believe the gss package is ready for upload as well.
> Lintian output and diff against last release below.  It seems better to
> upload shishi first, to be able to test that the new gss package builds
> fine against both the lenny version and the (then) sid version.
> Thoughts?

Either way is fine with me!

I notice from the symbols file that GSS isn't yet using symbol
versioning.  Is that something that you're considering adding later?  I
think it's generally a good idea for all shared libraries to use symbol
versioning if possible.

> I appreciate your review of the packaging files.

On the gss packaging, the only comments I have are on the debian/copyright
file.  First, there are a few places where there are multiple paragraphs
in a section separateed by blank lines, such as:

Files: *
Copyright: Copyright (C) 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006  Simon Josefsson
License: GPL-3+
 The entire package is licensed under GPL version 3, or (at your
 option) any later version.  On Debian systems, the complete text of
 the GNU General Public License version 3 can be found in the file
 `/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-3'.

 Most files in lib/ and src/ have this license, for example quoting
 lib/version.c:

 * version.c --- Version handling.
 * Copyright (C) 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006  Simon Josefsson
 *
 * This file is part of the Generic Security Service (GSS).
 *
 * GSS is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
 * under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
 * the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or
 * (at your option) any later version.
 *
 * GSS is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT
 * ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY
 * or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public
 * License for more details.
 *
 * along with GSS; if not, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses or write to
 * the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth

The blank lines should instead be " ." similar to blank lines in
debian/control long descriptions.  Otherwise, they're not part of the same
continued field and are just free-floating text in the file.

There is also one chunk of freeform text in the debian/copyright file, and
I believe the current intention of the specification is that everything
should be part of a field:

This package was debianized by Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> on
Tue, 22 Dec 2005 10:16:27 +0100.

I would just drop this since it really duplicates the contents of the
first debian/changelog entry (although the date is different, but I'm not
sure that it matters to record the very first date when the packaging was
generated).

I can make these changes if you want or you can make them and upload,
whichever works easier for you.  I'll go take a look at Shishi now.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>