Re: Converted MBR to GPT and menu is gone, can't use grub-reboot either

From: Chandler
Subject: Re: Converted MBR to GPT and menu is gone, can't use grub-reboot either
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 04:16:22 -0700

Pascal Hambourg wrote on 2/20/23 8:48 AM:
> You can do it with grub-install. Since you have a RAID setup, make sure
> you reinstall GRUB on all drives.
Ok I ran `grub-install --verbose /dev/sda` and `grub-install --verbose
/dev/sdb` and tried rebooting, still can't see anything.  After the BIOS
finishes loading, then I see a blinking cursor for 5 or so seconds,
probably while the menu is counting down, then I start to see the kernel
boot messages.

I attached the output of `grub-install` commands, as well as `fdisk -l
/dev/sda` and `fdisk -l /dev/sdb` in case that is helpful.

In researching this and searching through my web history, it seems these
are the steps I followed and I just stopped after step 5:
https://gist.github.com/cjyar/cd5ea76a8692516767672ffc2883df92

the "Partition 3 does not start on physical sector boundary" message
doesn't make sense because I'm fairly sure I used `parted` to check if
the partition was aligned.

and maybe the "Partition table entries are not in disk order" is also
interfering somehow?

I'm not sure why that guide had me make this "BIOS boot" partition if I
could just stop at step 5 without UEFI anyway so maybe that could be the
problem?