Re: Converted MBR to GPT and menu is gone, can't use grub-reboot either

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: Converted MBR to GPT and menu is gone, can't use grub-reboot either
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 18:24:25 +0100

On 19/02/2023 at 04:14, Chandler wrote:

What is in /etc/default/grub ?

GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="console=tty0 console=ttyS1,115200n8 ecrc=on
intel_idle.max_cstate=2 iommu=off log_buf_len=1024M processor.max_cstate=2"
GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768

GRUB_TIMEOUT and GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE are not defined, but default value should display the menu during 5 seconds.

See grub-reboot manual. GRUB cannot write on RAID or LVM devices at boot
time to remove the next boot option in the GRUB environment block
/boot/grub/grubenv, so the option will be persistent.

I see.  Is it much more difficult to write to md device when it can
already read from it, then?

Yes. Read can be done on either drive of the array, whereas write must be done on all drives.

but I don't know what I would do if I ever needed to boot the previous
kernel or a recovery mode...

Boot a live system as you did or Debian installer in rescue mode.