Re: Suggestion for grub beep notification

From: Glenn Washburn
Subject: Re: Suggestion for grub beep notification
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 00:59:53 -0500

Hi Nick,

I really shouldn't have responded to your original email on the
grub-devel list because that list is for GRUB development. I've now
moved this to the help-grub list, which is where these kinds of
questions belong.

On Sat, 17 Sep 2022 12:27:15 +1000
Nick F <nfieraru@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Glenn, thanks for your answer. I edited /etc/default/grub and appended
> to the last line the command
> play 60 440 4
> When I do update-bootloader, it tells me
> + /usr/sbin/grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
> /etc/default/grub: line 50: play: command not found

Yes, in my previous email, I said to put it at the end of the grub.cfg,
which will be located usually at /boot.grub.grub.cfg. It will get
over-written everytime you do update-bootloader though. I don't know
what OS you're using as I'm unfamiliar with the "update-bootloader"
command. However, on Debian or Ubuntu you can create a file at
/etc/grub.d/99_menu-beep with the contents "play 60 440 4", which
will get inserted into the grub.cfg when the OS bootloader update
scripts are run. You may want to look into this functionality for your
system.

Putting it in /etc/default/grub will definitely not work as that is a
shell script file and not anything that it run by GRUB.

> I tried next to use the command: play "60 440 4" but I got the same error.

I also do not know what architecture you're running. The play command
is only available on x86 targets. If you are using an x86 target, then
the command is likely not available because you need to load the play
module via the GRUB command "insmod play".

> I also tried moving the command GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1" to the last line
> of the grub script, but the beep comes up about 6 seconds before the menu
> is displayed.

It doesn't matter where you put the GRUB_INIT_TUNE line in
/etc/default/grub, it will always create a tune before the menu. It
gets inserted into the grub.cfg via 00_header, which goes at the start
of the grub.cfg.

Glenn