Re: grub2 mdadm and default_layout , attempt to read or write outside of

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: grub2 mdadm and default_layout , attempt to read or write outside of disk
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2022 19:46:14 +0200

Le 04/06/2022 à 16:07, Andrei Borzenkov a écrit :
On 04.06.2022 14:25, Darko Luketic wrote:

A loss of the rootfs would be catastrophic

How could a loss of anything on RAID0 be catastrophic ?

My guess is grub can't deal with mdadm's layout-original or
layout-alternate or layout-unspecified.

Currently grub does not support RAID0 with different member disk sizes
which makes RAID0 layout irrelevant at all for now.

Good to know, thanks, even though I do not plan to have /boot on RAID0 anytime soon (rather on RAID1).

Implementation looks more or less straightforward. Instead of using one
single RAID0 segment for the whole array grub should build a list of
segments if raid disks are of different sizes. And of course adjust
mapping between logical and physical sectors depending on current layout.

Also note that RAID0 layout is irrelevant when only one member is bigger than the other(s).