Re: UEFI: can running grub-install help after a motherboard change?

From: Sébastien Hinderer
Subject: Re: UEFI: can running grub-install help after a motherboard change?
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 11:48:51 +0100

Dear Pascal and all,

I just wanted to provide some feedback after having run grub-install to
register my boot loader to the motherboard.

In short, it worked, finally.

The longer version is that, after enabling UEFI, I had a hard time
getting my hard drive being detected. What fixed the problem was to
disable the RAID mode in the System setup and enable AHCI.

The other thing that happened is that when I ran grub-install it
reported that the system does not support BIOS variables. This scared me
a little but now things seem to work OK, perhaps because the bootloader
is seen as a removable device?

Here is the output of efibootmgr:

BootCurrent: 0002
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 0002,0001,0004,0003,0005,0006
Boot0001  Diskette Drive
Boot0002* debian
Boot0003* USB Storage Device
Boot0004  CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
Boot0005* M.2 PCIe SSD
Boot0006* UEFI: PM981 NVMe Samsung 1024GB, Partition 2

It feels to me some cleanup would be in order, but I am kind of shy
about touching anything since things work now and it would be impossible
to fix whatever would stop working.

Is there a safe way to determine whether the BIOS varialbes are actually
available / enabled?

I really wish BIOSes could embed a screen reader. It's so painful and
frustrating not being able to control this part of the system in an
autonomous way.

Sébastien.