Re: Grub on BIOS/GPT

From: David Ventura
Subject: Re: Grub on BIOS/GPT
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 10:11:14 +0100

This email is meant as a reply to the previous chain, however my
settings on the mailing list were incorrect and I can't reply

>  You do not use grub-install.

I'm not sure how to do that; running grub-install with either a file
or a loop device as  target gets ignored and instead targets my
primary disk:

$ grub-install -vvv /dev/loop13
grub-install: info: executing modprobe efivars 2>/dev/null.
grub-install: info: Looking for /sys/firmware/efi ...
grub-install: info: ...found.
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
grub-install: info: cannot open `/boot/grub/device.map': No such file
or directory.
grub-install: info: /dev/vda1 is not present.
grub-install: info: Looking for /dev/vda1.
grub-install: info: /dev/vda is a parent of /dev/vda1.
grub-install: info: /dev/vda1 starts from 2048.
(....)

On top of that, I'm building a franken-disk that can boot both in
BIOS/GPT and UEFI/GPT with a bios boot partition and Grub in the ESP.
I'm not sure if grub-install would be confused by this, or just work.
Do you have any suggestions for this?

> core.img location is stored in both boot.img by grub.install. What you
see is boot.img which attempts to load and execute garbage so system hangs.
Thank you!!
I'll try to understand the code and hopefully only need to change the
"jump to" address on the boot.img

David
--
Stack is the new term for "I have no idea what I'm actually using".