Re: Grub and secure boot

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Grub and secure boot
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 18:09:13 +0300

On 05.02.2022 00:08, Domenico Panella wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a problem with grub.
> I have signed grub efi file with my efi keys
> But I get this error :
>
> verifcation requested but nobody cares: (hd0,gpt7)/boot/grub/x86_64-efi
> /normal.mod
> Entering rescue mode... grub rescue>
>
> I always used this way but now it doesn't work.
> What missing?

When secure boot is enabled grub enforces verification of modules. But grub
modules
themselves do not have EFI signature, so there is no verifier that can check
them.
Distributions ship signed grub with module loading disabled.

You may try signing modules with GPG key and adding this key to grub image. But
that will enforce signature checks for every file including configuration,
themes
etc, every file that grub reads will need to be signed.

Alternative is to use grub-standalone to embed RAM disk with modules in grub
image.
GRUB should skip signature verification for those internal modules.