Accessing local disk from grub2.efi started via PXE

From: Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Subject: Accessing local disk from grub2.efi started via PXE
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 03:47:19 +0200

Hi,

I have a rather unusual setup: I'm loading grub2 (EFI) either from EFI
over the network, or from iPXE on a USB stick (also in EFI mode). Then,
I want to load OS from several placed (depending on config). Loading the
kernel via tftp or http works just fine. But accessing local disk, or an
USB stick not everywhere (depending on firmware?). "ls" command returns
just "(proc)" (and a machine with coreboot - also "(cbfsdisk)").

I have this issue with variety of disks:
 - NVME
 - USB3 mass storage
 - USB2 mass storage (but USB3 controller)

When grub2.efi is loaded from a local disk, it works.

Things I've tried:
- "nativedisk" command
- "usb" command (prints an empty devices list)
- updating from grub 2.04 to 2.06
- looking for "xhci" or "nvme" modules, but I don't see anything like
  this
- trying to find how to access the disk via EFI boot services (I guess
  this is what is used when loading grub2.efi from the local disk)

Any ideas?

If there is no other option, I can probably chainload via yet another
bootloader (some ideas which one?), but that would increase complexity
even more...

An alternative could be setting BootNext EFI variable to point at the
local disk and reboot. That would work for me too - any idea how to do
that from grub?

--
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki