Re: How to boot a 32-bit Ubuntu on a 64-bit EFI machine?

From: Ulf Zibis
Subject: Re: How to boot a 32-bit Ubuntu on a 64-bit EFI machine?
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 09:30:10 +0200

Am 12.09.21 um 20:52 schrieb Andrei Borzenkov:
But since latest updates
updates of what?
I mean the regular updates from the Ubuntu repositories including all
applications, the kernel and also GRUB.

"Kernel does not support 64 bit cpu"
Is it exact error message?
Yes, I mean exactly this wording
When is it printed? Is it output by grub or
kernel? I do not see this error in grub.
It is shown, after selecting an entry in the GRUB menu, and after ~1 minute the
before GRUB menu is automatically shown again.

So my queston is, if there has something been changed in recent versions
of GRUB which prevents from booting 32-bit Linux on 64-bit EFI machines.
I briefly tried booting 32 bit openSUSE Tumbleweed kernel from within 64
bit EFI grub 2.06 in QEMU and I did not observe any errors from grub.
Ubuntu 16.04 used version 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.1 and was updated to
2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.23 over the time.
Ubuntu 18.04 used version 2.02-2ubuntu8 and was updated to 2.04-xyz over the
time.
Version 2.06 is not in use.

After issuing "boot" command I do not see any kernel messages but I
cannot say if this is due to qemu or kernel or something else.
Don't know, if QEMU makes a difference.
Or is the cause to search for in Ubuntu's flavour of GRUB?