Re: Grub freezes when it touches large initrd

From: Pascal-liste
Subject: Re: Grub freezes when it touches large initrd
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 00:33:36 +0200

Le 03/06/2021 à 07:42, Andrei Borzenkov a écrit :
On 02.06.2021 18:02, Vuk.Gojnic@telekom.de wrote:

I am trying to boot the system with an initrd that is 406MB (gzip compressed)
in size on x86_64 system with 256G RAM via UEFI. I use bootloader binaries
(GRUBX64.efi and BOOTX64.efi) from Ubuntu Bionic. Kernel is also from the same
distro.

When I get to Grub prompt I can normally load the kernel with:
Grub>linuxefi /vmlinuz

Howewer when I try to load initrd the Grub crashes and what follows is "red screen
of death" with:
X64 Exception Type 0x03 - Breakpoint Exception
CALL ImageBase        ImageName+Offset
00h  0000000000000000 No Image Information

CALL ImageBase        ImageName+Offset

The same happens even if I just try to do "ls -la" on the directory that
contains that initrd.

In this case it is unlikely related to size. Rather there is something
with this specific file inode that makes grub crash.

How then do you explain this :

I have tried with few initrd images ranging between 300MB and 400MB, but result
was the same
On the other hand everything works well when I boot with an initrd that is
around 70MB big.