Re: How does one add a second Ubuntu installation to anexisting one?

From: John Little
Subject: Re: How does one add a second Ubuntu installation to anexisting one?
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 11:32:04 +1200

Rather than juggling partitions, consider using a btrfs. I typically have four
or five different *buntus in separate subvolumes.

Also, I suggest also installing grub to its own subvolume (or partition), and
manually editing grub.cfg there, using the vmlinuz and initrd.img symbolic
links so that the entries don't have to be updated frequently. I suggest using
partition labels in /etc/fstab and grub.cfg rather than UUIDs; they're much
more readable.

If multiple distros have grub installed to update the boot, each tries to
control the boot and confusion is the result. Consider switching to the grub
package that does not automatically update the boot, at least on all but one
install, or none as in my suggestion above.
--
Regards, John Little