Re: Boot question

From: Pascal-liste
Subject: Re: Boot question
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2021 00:20:55 +0200

Le 03/04/2021 à 21:04, jmh6@nhfn.net a écrit :

   I recently 'copied' a linux OS from a 16MB SD card to a 32MB card.

How ?

  Eventually I figured out UUID enough to get that new device with different UUIDs up and running.

  After linux loads and the initrd are loaded, the linux kernel tries to find the 'boot SD'.

The Linux kernel does not care about the boot device. Boot has already happened. The boot device is not necessary any more.

  The /dev/sdc loads

What do you mean exactly ?

but the partitions are not yet visible

What do you mean exactly ?

and the boot aborts and prints a message suggesting that a bigger 'rootdelay' be used.

Please post the full message.

  I then enter a line 'rootdelay=20' and ctrl-alt-del reboot. Often but not always starts successfully.

Where do you enter the line ? At the initramfs shell ? It is useless.
This is a kernel parameter. Kernel parameters must be added to the kernel command line passed by the boot loader, either in /boot/grub/grub.cfg or at boot time in the menu entry editor (type "e").

  I am wondering if/how I can tell this last stage of the boot process to use the UUID device rather than try to use /dev/sdc? Perhaps some line in grub or in /etc?

In /boot/grub/grub.cfg
If the linux command contains root=/dev/sdxx, you should change it into root=UUID=xxxx.

   The OS is vmlinuz-4.9.212-antix.1-486-smp.

This is a Linux kernel image, not an OS.