Re: grub-mkconfig os-prober did not update UUID

From: Jimmie Mayfield
Subject: Re: grub-mkconfig os-prober did not update UUID
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2020 10:35:42 -0400

Hello,

When attempting to install grub onto a different hard drive (perhaps rescue-mounted from another machine), it's best to bind-mount /proc, /dev (and possibly /sys and /run depending on what you need to do during the rescue) into the chroot.  I've had to do this on occasion when a bad grub update renders one of my machines unbootable.

For simplicity, assume that /dev/sdz1 is the /boot partition of the target drive and /dev/sdz2 is the / partition...

1. mount /dev/sdz2  /mnt/rescue
2. mount /dev/sdz1 /mnt/rescue/boot
3. mount --bind /dev /mnt/rescue/dev
   mount --bind /proc /mnt/rescue/proc
4. chroot /mnt/rescue
5. now run grub-mkconfig, install RPMs, etc
6. exit chroot
7. umount /mnt/rescue/dev /mnt/rescue/proc /mnt/rescue/boot /mnt/rescue