Re: How to boot ISO using grub on SLES 11 SP4

From: Jonas Bechtel
Subject: Re: How to boot ISO using grub on SLES 11 SP4
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2020 19:43:48 +0200

Dear TO, dear list,

I would suggest to

1. Unpack the ISO image (choose the smallest possible, e. g. network install
image) (mount -o loop I guess)
2. Look for kernel and ramdisk (commonly the former is called
vmlinux/vmlinuz/vmlinux.gz, the latter is called initrd or similar)
3. Copy those two files to a location where grub can reach it (e. g.
/boot/new/).
4. Set up Grub to boot those two files per default.
5. Now restart and make the update.
6. Set back Grub to the old/updated system (commonly /boot/vmlinuz and
/boot/initrd symlinks)

Dangers/Remarks:

- Hopefully Azure has a good keyboard(/mouse) emulation - do you have a VNC
mode?

- Normally even on the netinstall image there are more than two files. Some of
them are normally used to load the next stage of the install system. As these
are not available then, the very first stage (implanted in initrd) will use the
network to load the next stage. Alternatively you can copy all files of the
.iso image to a small extra partition and boot to this.

- If anything goes wrong (and as there's no possibility for ISOs) you have to
become creative.

- I suggest to test this procedure with your local computer.

- If Linux needs special boot options in that VM environment, you need to guess
them.

- Good luck!

Best Regards
 Jonas Bechtel

P. S.: Once I managed to chainload an iso image as emulated device, but I don't
know anymore how to make this again.

Bits & Bäume Dresden, Tour de Natur, GRÜNE LIGA, Konglomerat e. V., ADFC,
(ex-)tuuwi, Hochschulgruppe Rad, Institut für Bahntechnik

Schlafende Projekte: CityConcierge, IKaRad, TerKur
Neueste Idee: Radfernbahn Berlin-Dresden, Dresden-Leipzig -> radfernbahn.de

On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 19:14:53 +0530
Sac Isilia <udaypratap.singh65@gmail.com> wrote with subject