LVM RAID 0

From: Wink Saville
Subject: LVM RAID 0
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 11:51:43 -0700

Does grub support using an LVM RAID 0 volume as the boot partition/volume?

What I'm trying to do is install arch linux on a system with 2 nvme
ssd's, I thought I would try to use LVM (Logical Volume Manager) in
raid 0 mode and can't get it working. I searched high and low but have
found no example on the internet where lvm raid 0 was used for a "boot
partition". So maybe I'm trying something that isn't supported. I
followed the instructions here:

     https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Install_Arch_Linux_on_LVM

 And it says grub is the only bootloader that works with lvm:

     "Only GRUB is known to support LVM."

In the "Configure mkinitcpio for RAID" it talks about LVM RAID for the
root filesystem but doesn't mention the boot filesystem, so maybe grub
doesn't work with boot being on a RAID 0.

Here is an outline of what I've done. I created two physical volumes
and then one volume group with the two physical volumes and finally
two logical volumes, boot and root. Both of these are striped across
the two physical volumes:

    pvcreate --dataalignment 1m /dev/nvme0n1
    pvcreate --dataalignment 1m /dev/nvme1n1
    vgcreate vg0 /dev/nvme0n1 /dev/nvme1n1
    lvcreate --type raid0 -L 2G --stripes 2 --stripesize 64k -n boot vg0
    lvcreate --type raid0 -L 500G --stripes 2 --stripesize 64k -n root vg0

After I got arch linux installed on the chroot I tried to install grub
but got an error that it couldn't find the disk:

     grub-install: error: disk
`lvmid/ATeSVR-...-1k0)cs/)tVDsa-...-BU9tqx' not found'

The lvmid corresponds to the "lvmid" syntax of 'lvmid/<volume group
id>/<logical volume id>" and I verified that the volume group id
matched that of /dev/vg0 and logical volume id matched /dev/vg0/boot.

-- Wink