Re: GRUB2 not able to read ext4/xfs file systems on 8 TB drive

From: Niklas Hambüchen
Subject: Re: GRUB2 not able to read ext4/xfs file systems on 8 TB drive
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 03:46:30 +0200

Hey Nathan and Pascal,

> (In that case, do you think that you could leave out the pata module
> from your --modules list??)

> Then it is unlikely that you need the 'pata' driver. It is for old parallel
> ATA (aka IDE) drives.

You are right, I have tried it now without `pata` and it still works.
I also changed the module order (putting `nativedisk` to the front) and it also
still works.
So that clarifies my remaining questions from before.

> But I think you could find out the answer to the "device size" question
> by booting from a Grub DVD or USB stick and then running the "ls"
> command from the resulting non-rescue grub> prompt...

I tried this with SuperGrub2Disk, but oddly `ls (hd0)` and `ls (hd0,gpt2)` show
the full sizes (8 TB).

> However couldn't you just use a separate RAID array based on small partitions
> located at the beginning of the drives for /boot ?

I think I could -- but would it be preferable?

It seems that with `nativedisk` I can achieve a correct boot and be more
independent of bugs in the firmware, which looks like a strong argument to me.

Thanks again!
Niklas