Re: GRUB2 not able to read ext4/xfs file systems on 8 TB drive

From: Nathan Stratton Treadway
Subject: Re: GRUB2 not able to read ext4/xfs file systems on 8 TB drive
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 16:50:13 -0400

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 22:37:36 +0200, Niklas Hambüchen wrote:
> Hi Nathan,
>
> that is a great idea. Unfortunately it does not work for me, at least not
> from the rescue shell, as no size information is output:
>
>     grub rescue> ls
>     (hd0) (hd0,gpt2) (hd0,gpt1) (hd1) (hd1,gpt2) (hd1,gpt1) (lvm/vg0-root0)
> (md/root0)
>
>     grub rescue> ls (hd0)
>     (hd0): Filesystem is unknown.

Yes, now that you mention it I remember that "ls" in rescue mode doesn't
include the size, etc. info (info that might have been handy to help get
past the rescue mode....)

But I think you could find out the answer to the "device size" question
by booting from a Grub DVD or USB stick and then running the "ls"
command from the resulting non-rescue grub> prompt...

                                                        Nathan

Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  address@hidden  -  Mid-Atlantic region
Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -   http://www.ontko.com/
 GPG Key: http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239
 Key fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239