Re: How to completely disable all UUID and dynamic probing?

From: John Little
Subject: Re: How to completely disable all UUID and dynamic probing?
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2019 10:28:40 +1300

>Everybody's saying don't edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg;
>edit the configfiles in /etc/grub

Not me, and some others on this list.  The grub manual says

"those who feel that it would be easier to write 'grub.cfg' directly are
encouraged to do so"

I use my own, much simpler, install independent, grub.cfg.  And for my
uses, it is certainly easier, mostly because it's set (for years) and
forget.

I've just booted my UEFI Kubuntu 19.10 no trouble with this grub.cfg
(there's a linux line and a initrd line, plain text e-mail might wrap
the linux line):

insmod all_video
menuentry 'Eoan no searching'{
  linux  /@_eoan_u/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 ro rootflags=subvol=@_eoan_u
  initrd /@_eoan_u/boot/initrd.img
}

My grub.cfg is in the same btrfs as the OS; a drive spec would be needed
on both lines otherwise, maybe "(hd0,gpt2)".  I don't know what
searching of file systems the UEFI or grub do automatically; this
computer's UEFI seems to sometimes.

I must mention (if I don't, someone will pipe in with it) the standard
caveat about using fixed device names in grub.cfg: they can change
between boots.  On this computer they only change if there's a hardware
change.  I normally use the phrase "root=LABEL=main" on the linux line,
I don't know if that involves searching or not.

Regards, John Little