Get Grub2 on to an initrd.img

From: Narendrakumar B
Subject: Get Grub2 on to an initrd.img
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2019 15:10:57 +0000

Hello Team,

I am looking for assistance on below.

I have an initrd.img made out of SLES 12 SP3. This image is being used boot on
RAM Disk to execute few scripts. As part of the script, I need to create a
bootable FAT32 partition for both UEFI and Legacy Servers and have Grub2 as the
boot loader. Is there a package that I can copy over to the initrd.img or at
the boot environment and execute GRUB commands?

I tried the downloading the package at
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/grub/grub-2.04.tar.gz

Unbundled GRUB using:

zcat grub-2.04.tar.gz | tar xvf -

cd grub-2.04

./configure –prefix=path/to/my/extracted/initrd.img

make install
Recompiled the initrd and then tried running the commands. It failed.

I also tried to extract the grub-2.04.tar.gz directly on the OS environment
booted out of the initrd.img that I have. No luck yet.

Correct me if I am wrong, I am assuming “grub-install” is the only command I
will need to create a grub partition (both UEFI and Legacy). How do I get that
working on the initrd that I have?

Thanks,
Narendrakumar B