Re: 'error: invalid signature' when booting Windows 10

From: David Collier
Subject: Re: 'error: invalid signature' when booting Windows 10
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 08:21:10 -0800

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 11:18 AM Pascal Hambourg <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Le 18/12/2018 à 06:20, David Collier a écrit :
> >
> > I did this and it booted the main linux installation from the SSD even
> > though grub was booted from the USB stick. Is there a way to confirm that
> > it booted in EFI mode?
>
> GRUB's environment variables displayed by "set" indicate whether it
> booted in EFI or BIOS mode. In the Linux system, efibootmgr shows the
> EFI boot variables only if booted in EFI mode.

confirmed, it boots in EFI mode

> > Also, how exactly do I proceed from here, I re-read this thread but don't
> > see what should I do next.
>
> Running grub-install without argument should be enough to install the
> GRUB EFI boot loader, provided that the EFI partition is mounted on
> /boot/efi and grub-efi-amd64-bin is installed. Running update-grub
> should now detect and add Windows to GRUB's menu.

I added the entry to mount Windows EFI partition, so /boot/efi has the EFI
directory entry in it now.

> I ran 'apt-get install grub-efi-amd64', but this did not result in the
> > directory /boot/grub/x86_64-efi showing up, it installed a bunch of files
> > in /etc/kernel and /usr/share
>
> The package installation should have run grub-install which should have
> populated /boot/grub/x86_64-efi.

update-grub finds the windows partition now and adds it to the menu. but
running grub-install still fails:

> grub-install
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
grub-install: warning: disk does not exist, so falling back to partition
device /dev/sdb3.
grub-install: warning: disk does not exist, so falling back to partition
device /dev/sdb3.
grub-install: warning: disk does not exist, so falling back to partition
device /dev/sdb3.
grub-install: error: disk `hostdisk//dev/sdb3' not found.

when booting from the USB stick in EFI mode the new menu item boots windows
successfully, but if I boot from the SSD the same menu shows, but windows
does not boot.

-dc