Re: 'error: invalid signature' when booting Windows 10

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: 'error: invalid signature' when booting Windows 10
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2018 07:34:52 +0100

Le 14/12/2018 à 06:13, David Collier a écrit :
when I try booting from the usb stick it indeed shows two boot options,
'Patriot Memory PMAP' and 'UEFI: Patriot  Memory PMAP' but when I try
picking the UEFI option it fails with message

error: file '/boot' not found

Is this a GRUB error ? Does it fallback to a grub rescue prompt ? If yes, what do the 'set' and 'ls' commands display ?

however, if I boot from this stick in non UEFI mode I see that it has two
partitions, and both of them have /boot directory.

Any idea what could be wrong? Some search suggests that it could be due to
the fact that I copied the .iso image to the stick using dd, is this the
case?

What ISO image is it ?
dd to /dev/sdX is the proper way to write the image if it is a ISO-hybrid image.

Instead of using an ISO image on the stick, you could also create a DOS or GPT partition table, an EFI partition (FAT) and a Linux partition (ext2 or ext4), mount the EFI partition on /boot/efi and the Linux partition on /boot/grub and run

grub-install --removable
update-grub

Then reboot and select the USB stick for boot in UEFI mode.