Re: 'error: invalid signature' when booting Windows 10

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: 'error: invalid signature' when booting Windows 10
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 22:19:02 +0100

Le 13/12/2018 à 21:53, David Collier a écrit :
On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 11:52 AM Pascal Hambourg <address@hidden>
wrote:

Le 13/12/2018 à 07:49, David Collier a écrit :

You must install GRUB EFI for the architecture matching your UEFI
firmware (32 or 64 bits, most likely 64 bits - NOT the CPU
architecture), but grub-install will be able to register an EFI boot
entry for itself only if the system was booted in EFI mode.

I can't say I understand this. You mean it would start showing up as yet
another boot option in the BIOS dialogue?

Yes. And it should have the highest priority so that the firmware selects it for booting.

How do I install GRUB EFI?

First, you install the packages which provides the commands and files needed to install GRUB EFI. Then you run grub-install with the proper arguments.

What is the installed distribution ?

it's Debian

DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 19 Tara"

Linux Mint is not Debian. It is based on Ubuntu, which is not Debian either. There is a flavour or Mint which is based on Debian, labelled LMDE for "Linux Mint Debian Edition". All these distributions just share Debian's packaging system.

In Debian the 64-bit GRUB EFI package is grub-efi-amd64 and the 32-bit GRUB EFI package is grub-efi-ia32.

The installer of some distributions provide a
rescue mode which allows to chroot the installed system. Also you can
boot a live system in EFI mode and run grub-install from there using the
proper --boot-directory and --efi-directory options. Or you can boot the
installed system in EFI mode with something like GRUB Rescue.

so, I can boot from the USB stick with the Debian distribution and chroot
into the installed system, what do I do next?

The Debian installer has a rescue mode, but I don't know if Mint's installed does. IIRC it is based on Ubuntu's installer, which is very different from Debian's.

After you have chrooted into the installed system, you mount the EFI partition and just run grub-install without parameters.

How do I force BIOS to boot from the USB stick in one mode vs another?

This is specific to each UEFI firmware implementation.
A prerequisite is that the USB stick is set up for EFI boot. You can see it if it contains a FAT partition containing EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI for 64-bit EFI or EFI/BOOT/BOOTIA32.EFI for 32-bit EFI.